Saturday, June 18, 2005

Slave to Morality

I have a few vague rules for myself, for this life.
One of them is, never leave someone in the middle. Majhdhar main nahin chodna.
And here I am, at 8:45am on a bright Saturday Morning, in my office, fullfilling the precept.
Life I tell you, is hard if you are on the drug of morality.
My advice to you: never fall in love with your higher self.
And if you do Do, pray that there is after-life or karma and rebirth, otherwise, reason tells me, we are wasting our lives chasing useless morals, when we could be joyously committing sins, conceits and deceits

4 comments:

Snowy said...

Hmm, you are betting on something(afterlife) that no one has proved; not sure how wise that is. However, as far as principles go, stick with what you want to follow because that is what defines a person. But, it is you who determine where the majdhaar ends ;-)

Smooth sailing!

anshul said...

snowy,

thanks for the comment (and the thought behind. I appreciate it).

I think for most people, morality is usually the social rules which they learnt in childhood (which can be as short as 4 years to as long as your life-span), and natural predilections. And the more strictly hard-wired these rules are, the more uncomfortable it is for the person to go against them.

So mostly, it is not about an after-life or anything else, it's just about avoiding that discomfort.

Same is the case with me, with respect to the posted rule (and no bets on after-life !), and as far as I can say, it has been a natural predilection for me.

Tipsy Topsy said...

came here through ur comment on Sagnik's blog. Ur dilemna sounded familiar :)

good point about the re-birth. Just attended a vedanta lecture that seemed to suggest that the philo of rebirth can be logically assumed to be true. So, don't fret ;)

anshul said...

tipsy topsy,

thank you for the comment and well, throwing tantrums is a birth-right, I think :)

I sure would like to hear the logic which can provide insights into the possiblity of rebirth.

Though re-birth if true, should confuse the common Hindu, because what is the guarantee that you'll be born as a Hindu again. And if not so, then what's the Auchitya(meaning/purpose) of faith in one-birth. Ofcourse, once you have this question you've to resort to Vedanta for reasonable explanation.