Friday, June 17, 2005

Nothing For Him

Shantilal Kaka came today. His grandson must have come, I thought. I remembered, how excited he was on his last visit for checkup.

"Kem cho Doctor Saheb, Ben kevi che, ane tamaro dikro ?"
"Kaka vaddha maja-ma. Tame beso"
(How are you Doctor Saheb, how's your wife and your son ?)
(Kaka, everyone fine. You have a seat)

I didn't have any patients waiting upon me, so I called the peon to get some tea. I liked listening to him. He reminded me of grandpa. Today he looked a different self. Visibly silent."Kaka, has your grandson come yet ?"

"Yes. He has come"
"So everyone must be happy at home"
"Yes. Very happy"

"Doctor Saheb, Everyone has come to meet him. My daughters and their husbands from baroda and ahmedabad. My two sons and their families from halol. Everyone is very happy to meet him"

Tea had come. He continued "He has brought a lot of things. Toys. Lots of them. Choclates. Jwellery. Clothes"

I imagined everyone gathering around him, in anticipation. Cheering as the items emerged from the boxes.

"Yesterday night, after dinner everyone gathered around him. One by one, he distributed the gifts. They all laughed and cheered". He looked into the distance. Somewhere into the walls. Or the window may-be.

"Par Doctor Saheb, Mhara mate kachu nathi layo (He didn't bring anything for me) ". Lines on his forehead had deepened. Tea was cold now. He stared at the tea with moist eyes. I called for the peon, to get the tea warmed. He got up "Saheb, Aaje naahin. Have Hoon chaalish. Ghare Waat thase". (Saheb, not today. I will go now. People will be waiting at home)

He wouldn't have gone home. He would take the trail into the Khets. He would only return when the tears had dried up. I knew no-one awaited him at home.

No comments: