Tuesday, June 14, 2005

Past Glory

Forwarded mails like these, irk me a lot.

"I am from India. India invented 0"
(Controversial. Wrong may-be. Please read "The Nothing That is: A Natural History of Zero", by Robert Kaplan)
"You know India invented the decimal"
"You know India is a 5000 year old civilisation"
"The world's largest diamond kohinoor is from India"
(OK that is False! Kohinoor isn't largest by far. And even if it is, so what?)
"I am from India"
"You know Yoga is the invetion of Indians"
(Yeh tell me, how many Indians do yoga today ? Do you, who forwarded me this mail)
"You know we've had teachers like Krishna, Buddha, Mahavira"
(Yeh tell me, how many Indians today follow their teachings!)

Do you ever say "I ate such delicious food yesterday. So I am full today and will not eat today".
Then why say "My ancestors did something great. So I am great"

You get the point of what I am talking about.
I must remember that my past glory is for me to feel good about it and not to boast it as my achievement on my life-resume.

No comments: