Monday, December 22, 2008

A song

Over past few years, I have read works of quite a few Indian saints, poets. I haven't read any one of them in a lot of detail, however I've read excerpts here and there, online and in books.

Of these, today I remembered Mirabai. Somehow while talking to friends, we ended up in a frivolous discussion on Indian literature and ended up talking a bit about Mirabai. Regardless of what I bantered with my friends, she's is one of the Indian saints whom I respect.

Here's a song in her memory:
Teri Deewani by Kailash Kher

Not that this song does justice to her works or life. It's lyrics are not that impressive or influential for me, yet there's something about Kailash Kher's voice which is very likeable, earthly, rustic, may I dare to say. It's that feeling which he conveys by his voice that I attribute to her devotion.

(Earthly is what I read somebody else describe his voice as)

No comments: