Sunday, December 09, 2007

Reading

Past few weeks I have been reading short stories by leo tolstoy. So far I have read:

The Death of Ivan Ilych
The Kruetzer Sonata
The Devil
Walk in the light While there is light

Presently, I am reading Hadji Murad.

Of these, so far I have liked The Death of Ivan Ilych the best and then Hadji Murad. One particular sentence that struck me hard from The Death was "Ivan Ilych's life had been most simple and most ordinary and therefore most terrible".

While reading the Kruetzer Sonata and Walk in the light While there is Light I couldn't help but compare the main characters to Ayn Rand's for the simple reason that they would keep going on an on expounding a particular philosophy in what would seem like lots of pages. Then it seemed like the author was talking to you in the garb of the character.

While reading the Death of Ivan Ilych I kept thinking about Nikolai Gogol's The Overcoat.

No comments: